Monday, October 13, 2008

for holly

holly, lucky duck that she is went apple picking last weekend and has so many apples she doesn't know what to do with them.

so, here is my grandma leona's famous apple cake. it.is.divine

Grandma Leona's Apple Cake

2 cups brown sugar
2/3 cups shortening
4 cups chopped or grated apples
2 eggs
2 tsp. baking soda
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt

Mix sugar, shortening and eggs, then add the rest of the ingredients. Spread out into a greased 9x13 pan.

Topping:
8 tbsp. brown sugar
4 tbsp. melted butter
8 tbsp. flour
2 tsp. cinnamon

Spread topping on cake before baking. Bake @ 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Enjoy! (I love this for breakfast with a cup of tea!!)

6 comments:

Sandy said...

okay....i'm trying to stop giggling....i think you responded partially to my comment on jen geigley's blog...lmao!! she's probably like wtf??? hee hee !! xoxo you funny. *big smile*. xo

Dana said...

I am so making this! It sounds heavenly!!!

Birgit said...

Hmmmm, sounds yummie! Love apple cake :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted this recipe. Its just like my grandmother's which was last a long time ago. Thanks again

Anonymous said...

okay i am itching to make this now!! thanks for your sharing such goodness!

Holly said...

Thanks, Aimee! I'll definitely be making this today. Yummy yummy!