Thursday, February 26, 2009

fat girls can jump

sister and i have become quite the racquetball connoisseurs. we play a couple times a week. and by play, i mean, she hits the ball wildly, i run after it like a thundering hippo and smack it, she can't get it, so i run after it and smack it again. finally she gets it, but she hits it too low, so we're sort of bending down, trying to scoop the barely bouncing ball off the floor and keep it in play. usually about this time we either a. run into each other, b. one of us gets smacked in the tit, eye, or ass with the ball or racquet (or both), or c. run into the wall. all the while googling onlookers are snickering at our undoubtedly poised rallying skill.

we've also taken to calling the game "take that"... as it is a phrase we often yell while thundering/smashing/smacking across the court, etc. example: i thunder after the ball, catching a low snag and bounce that puppy off the wall as if it was the one thing on earth i was born to do screaming at the top of my lungs to my blonde opponent "TAKE THAT!" sometimes i wonder if the other gym patrons can hear us through that 1/2" thick glass pane, i hope not, but i try not to let it side-track me.

day before yesterday we both had a bit of a giggle. normal antics had ensued on the court and i was once again hippo thundering after the ball and she'd hit me a high one so i jumped like a 6'10'' basketball playing goddess (even though i'm only 5'11'') and snagged that sucker on the end of my racquet, sending it perfectly back toward the wall in an arc that i couldn't have planned if i'd have tried and then i yelled (in my victorious moment... erm... even though we don't keep score) "see, fat girls CAN jump!" and then we both fell into a heap of laughter on the floor with tears running down our face. jessie was laughing because i jumped liked a hippo... or because i yelled, i'm not sure... and i was laughing because she was laughing. (i tend to do that, laugh at someone who's laughing or cry when someone else is crying. )

anyway, here is photographic proof that fat girls can jump...

7 comments:

bethchien said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is effin hilarious!! Which makes me laugh...and my mouth still hurts...so stop!! hahahaha

OmG!! Yeah, I haven't jumped in a while...afraid I would hit a 2 on the Richter scale! hahaha

mary h. said...

ROTFLMHO!!!! That is such a funny story! I mean belly aching funny!

Anonymous said...

I am laughing soo hard that now I can't stop coughing!
Thanks for understanding. I REALLY want to go Sunday, but like I said I don't want to infect you. Just let me know what other Sunday works for you...I've been keeping them open

Deana said...

Ok, first of all... stop calling yourself fat.... you're NOT!

Great story... You & your sister sound like MY sister & I... we laugh at EVERYTHING.

And raquetball... so retro! I played SO MUCH raquetball in the 80's.... even played for my high school team. :-)

I'm thinkin' you need to do some kind of cool LO about your raquetball playin'... :-)

Denise said...

you are so not fat but that aside you are ridiculously funny. I've always said that a good time is one in which I laugh so hard I pee my pants!
what are you eating?

vtpuggirl said...

LOL, I loved your story. I used to play in college, so I know exactly what you are talking about!

JLPC said...

hehehe...you make racket ball sound fun