Love my dad's side of the family, I really do, but there are a few kooks. Sunday we got together. Aunt Christine was in town from California. Whenever referring to Aunt Christine to people outside the family, we say "Crazy Aunt Christine" as if this would somehow make them understand. But really, this isn't the half of it. Aunt Christine... yes, they broke the mold when they made her.
Let me preface this whole poking-fun bit by mentioning that when my sister and I were younger, instead of buying us big Christmas presents she'd take us on trips. She took us to Seattle, she took us to Port Townsend, she took us to the San Juan Islands and we always had a blast and loved it. She didn't have any kids and so we were kind of like her surrogates. Once a year, she spoiled us. I even remember one time at her apartment in Greenlake, walking down to the Safeway, getting instant pudding, and making pies to throw in eachothers faces. It was the most hilarious thing any adult had ever let us do and I wish I had pictures so I could scrap the memory.
She is a non-patchouli wearing hippie... basically. She lives in a completely green house in California that I believe is entirely off the grid. I admire this... but in the same time, she's the only person I know who does it. You know those Pemco Commercials? "Sandals and socks guy, you're one of us." (Or maybe that's just our special Washington commercials...not sure, but you could youtube it if necessary, in fact I suggest it) this is her in a nutshell. Last time I saw her she was wearing a full body denim jumper, with some platform sandals and socks and a belt around her middle. She's very thin, she can completely pull off a jumper, its just that... its not really a chic jumper if you know what I'm sayin.
Anyway, Sunday she came over for the Bbq. Before the pool she was just wearing a pair of her signature high-waisted pleated tapered leg jeans and a 3/4 length tee. No big... something you'd see anyone wearing in any city in the country. But then came the big bang. After the pool she put on another jumper. Sleeveleess...black...elastic gather around the leg holes. I.just.about.died.
Seriously?? Is it just because she has no kids to say, "Mom, you can't wear that!"? I don't know, but it was bad. Real bad. After mulling over a few names for the outfit... "jumper" or "koozy"... we decided on "ROMPER." This is Aunt Christine's Romper.
And here's a picture to prove it. This will send us off into Friday with fits of laughter, I hope. Have a fantastic weekend guys, I'll be off @ Dave Matthews Band at the Gorge with some of my favorite people!
11 comments:
that is SO funny! :) And I'll bet that it is because she doesn't have any kids telling her that she shouldn't wear it. Well, maybe that's part of the problem. :)
hey now! I don't dress like that and I don't have kids! It's because she is off the grid, yep that's it!
Have a great time this weekend! I hope you don't get rained on!
I love the name ROMPER! YES!
That's SO a romper. Love it - freakin hilarious! Have fun at Dave!
What a great AUNT!!! I love the look and she wears it well!!! Have fun at the concert!!! LOVE DAVE :)
OMG!!!! This most is so stinkin' funny! I was so hoping as I continued to read down - that there would be a photo - and BAM! There is wasi n all it 's romper glory!!!! LOL! Have an awesome weekend!
You know you want one!
did she give it to you before leaving? I kinda wanna hang out with crazy aunt christine. she looks like she's a HOOT.
That is a fetching Romper Aimee.
You are so lucky to be at the Gorge w/Dave this weekend. I know you are going to have a blast--enjoy!!!
Aunt Christine sounds totally awesome. Ask her if she's up for some more "surrogates."
Bwahahaha! That was such a cute story, Aimee! You really can tell a hilarious tale. :0) Aunt Christine sounds like a total blast. We have weirdos in our family... they're just not as innocently weird as your aunt. They're, you know... WEIRD weird.
Post a Comment