So let me preface this story by telling you a little bit about my husband. He smoked for a long time. Started, I believe when he was about 19 and just quit for good this past year. A couple of times he tried to quit but then he'd have one at a party or something and before you knew it, he'd bought a pack and was smoking regularly again. When he was in the military and over in Iraq he'd chew to keep himself awake and it helped when he was hungry.
So... fast forward a few years. We're both trying to lose weight so he thinks it would be good for him to start chewing again so he doesn't eat. I am disgusted. I hate chew. I hate spitters. I hate the whole business. But I can gladly say, he's now tobacco free and heres why:
We had just grilled up a ton of asparagus, mushrooms, red bell peppers, sliced onion, chicken breasts, thighs, drumsticks and we were full to the BRIM. It was a gorgeous day Saturday the perfect day for grilling. And none of us had eaten anything grilled in FOREVER. My sister and Dan were over... we were having beers, the boys were putting together my new schnazzy Expedit shelf from IKEA.
CJ decides to put a dip in. He spits into an empty Molson bottle. The same kind of beer my sister has also been drinking all night. (I stuck with the Alaskan, thank GAWD). Nobody thinks a thing of it, we're all laughing, I'm putting together some more crap from IKEA. And then silence. My sister says "I think I drank the wrong bottle!! (I'm gagging as I write this). And she covers her mouth, runs to the bathroom and HURLS up all that amazing veggie, chicken, and the light pudding cake we'd whipped up for dessert. And then she sat in the bathroom for a full ten minutes laughing so hard she cried.
The butterfly emerged, mascara running down her face... and she was BUZZED. She was quickly whisked home where miraculously she didn't spew anymore.
And that my friends, is how we got my husband to quit chewing tobacco.
And now another lovely story about my husband and some arugula.
As you know I'm an avid cook. Mostly simple things... simple ingredients. But on Everyday Italian the other day Giada made this pasta that looked so delicious with shrimp and arugula and lemon oil. I wanted to make it. I bought everything except the arugula because I couldn't find it ANYWHERE.
I knew Cj was hitting the specialty market to get some yummy chicken breasts and asparagus for dinner so I asked him to check for it there. He called me, while at the store, and told me he'd found it, was a bunch that was about a foot long enough? I said sure, just one bunch, not thinking much of it.
Fast forward, we're eating our dinner of grilled yummy. He goes into the kitchen to get something and pulls out the "arugula" he'd bought. This is no ordinary arugula... its a LEEK! My sister and I both immediately recognizing it to be a leek start guffawing with laughter (a few beers down the hatch already)... then she laughs so hard she's crying, then I'm crying with laughter and CJ is terribly embarrassed. In an effort to try to redeem himself he explains that it was right by the arugula sign. We laugh some more. Then he pulls out the receipt, still certain he has picked the perfect "bunch" of arugula and low and behold the receipt tells him he's purchased a leek.
Oh what a night :)
How was your weekend?
4 comments:
Poor sister. :( SICK SICK SICK
OMG. That chew story made me throw up in my mouth a little.
I HAD to run to the bathroom. EWWWW!!!!!
them's good times Aimee-good times!
Post a Comment