We got in Saturday night and went to this really schnazzy place in Atlanta, GA called "Two Urban Licks". It had a great atmosphere and was totally fun! Live music, hilarious waiter, GRRRREAAAT freaking wine, and fun ambiance. But... I'm such a tight wad... the prices were a bit steep. I tend to think of food in terms of poo... (sorry, TMI for many, I'm sure) but... honestly, whatever you eat just turns to crap...why spend 300.00 on a meal? Also, because I cook, I tend to think in terms of "I could make this at home for xxxx cheaper!" But it was wonderful and Todd and Kate treated so I'm shutting my cheap-skate trap. Seriously, check out their menu, I had the seared ahi tuna and it was a delight, for certain.
Then we went to the Ani DiFranco concert at the Variety Playhouse, which was SUPER amazing. I used to listen to her a lot back in my depressed high school phase. That woman can play the guitar(s) like nothing I've ever seen before and she's totally married TO A MAN and has a baby. Blows my mind! Lots of pichouli and hairy armpits aside, it was definitely the highlight of Atlanta for me. I'd love to see a concert in every city I ever visited.
Sunday morning we went to Cracker Barrel (I am a Cracker Barrel virgin) and I had grits with my breakfast (also a grits virgin), which Stephanie says... aren't real grits. I liked them, but I didn't love them. Apparently real grits aren't as watery... I think they could have done with a touch more sugar and a touch less water and then I would have really enjoyed them. But for now, I have had grits in the south and become addicted to sweet tea (and Chick-fil-A).
Sunday I spent the whole day with Steph in Chattanooga, TN and she showed me around the city, we went shopping, got ice cream, went out to lunch with her hubby, made dinner, etc. It was wonderful and fun and I wish we'd had more time to be creative and see more of the city.


Here's my lunch:

And promptly thereafter we had ice-cream @ Clumpys where I so quickly devoured my coconut chocolate chip that I didn't even get a picture! But here is steph waiting:

I am so awful, I did not take ONE single picture of Steph's awesome hubby, Bo. I think its because I was slightly pre-occupied by these two freaking adorable cats, Alli and Gracie. I made them a little catnip mouse and it was all over, we were insta-buds after that:

In Atlanta, we went out for some real southern BBQ @ Swallow at the Hollow. I really wanted to go to the scary part of town and eat, it seems like that's where the best food always is but our hosts were leery. I'm the kind of person ... I love good authentic food so much, I'd rather be shot while eating a savory rack of ribs and potato salad over being in the wrong place at the wrong time any day.LOL. Sad but true.


We also visited the world-famous Atlanta Aquarium and Connor was so excited he made a fish face (actually, he made this face a LOT during the course of our trip... ) one funny moment I remember at the aquarium -- as we were walking out, they had someone wearing a fish costume and Connor just thought he was great. So he goes up to the fish and gets a hug (like a Disney Land only with sealife) and then tells Depot the fish "You're Fat". Ahhhh, kids. I love it. Later in the week he also asked CJ why he was so fat. Very not nice, but got a chuckle out of me. Brutal honesty.

I pushed a woman out of the way to get a shot of the

And there were lots of other pretty fish that I couldn't stop taking pictures of:



(Connor and I made an apple crisp together, you can't see it in this photo, but he isn't wearing any pants... i've always wanted to cook in my undies... now that John is finally moving back in with his wife, perhaps I'll give it a whirl ??)
(Kate and baby Parker)Oh travel. Oh flights. Oh airports. Oh BLIZZARDS. Oh Denver, Co.



The best thing about the south: Friendly genuine people who will do everything in their power to make you feel welcome.
The worst thing about the south: NOBODY FREAKING RECYCLES ANYTHING!!! (I just threw up in my mouth a little). Amen.
And the thing I know for certain: I.love.my.bed.



The best thing about the south: Friendly genuine people who will do everything in their power to make you feel welcome.
The worst thing about the south: NOBODY FREAKING RECYCLES ANYTHING!!! (I just threw up in my mouth a little). Amen.
And the thing I know for certain: I.love.my.bed.



14 comments:
It is always so cool to get insights from foreigners...lol! You were just in my "neck of the woods" girlie! lol! Glad you had a great visit. I actually live in NC, but my guy lives in Atlanta and I have family, well, ex-in-laws, in Chattanooga. And just so you know, you are not the only one to think of food as poo. I was just having this SAME conversation with Keith this weekend. Lastly, some of do recycle, it's just we are a bit slower here in the south! :)
WOO-HOO!!! It sounds like your weekend ROCKED!!! Thanks so much for sharing the moments with us. It makes me feel like I have actually been somewhere! LOL!!!
Wow, he sounds like you had a ton of fun!!!! I have so enjoyed all the pics. The aquarium ones took my breath away and I love the cooking one, just in his undies!!!! Yummo food and I love grits, but not watery one, nice and thick with lots of butter and salt and pepper!!!! I too feel like I went on the trip with you!!!! SO glad that you had a great time!!! Missed you!!!!
Does it soothe your tummy to know that I'm from the South and I recycle? And grits - Cracker Barrell grits are the worst! You want good grits? Go to a fish camp and order fried catfish with a side of grits. Now that's what I'ma talkin'!
It looks like you had a wonderful time. :):)
Love all the new pics. Can't wait to see you scrap them. Welcome home! :)
Fabulous photos!! I love real grits. I eat them with butter and sugar. Looks like you had a great time!!!
Welcome home! I had that issue in VA as well, no one recycled. But I love Chik-Fil-A. There use to be one at the mall in Portland, but it's gone now. Bummer! Looks like you had a great time and love all the photos. Great one of the octomom... I mean octopus!
your photos are fabulous! i feel like i lived it! i enjoy your blog with your colorful words! such fun!
SO MUCH FUN!! I am glad you had fun with Steph! And the pics from the aquarium are AMAZING!!!!
(ps..I am glad you're back. :D)
B
Loved your pictures..Looks like you had a great time..I love visiting Atlanta and the food there is excellent! Have a great day!
LOL, what a trip! Loved all the pictures, and yep, the southern ice tea will stay with you for a long time.
oh thank god.
all is now right with the world.
Hey there Aimee. Loved reading about your holiday and seeing the pics too.
HAPPY HUMP DAY!!! ;P
B
Post a Comment