
I started working swing shift yesterday and I found that I don't get off at midnight, I get off at 11... a fact which delighted me to no end. I'm also able to come home and go straight to bed, meaning I can easily get up 8:30ish and be fresh as a daisy and still have loads of time to spare for working out, cleaning and cooking, and perhaps scrapping once all the cleaning is done.
My mom gave me a pumpkin from her garden so I'm going to attempt to make butternut squash soup with pumpkin in lieu of butternut today. Heres the recipe I think I'll try from Cooking Light. I also peeled and roasted the seeds last night in egg white, chili powder, cinnamon, sugar, salt, and cumin and I plan to sprinkle those over the top of the soup with the cilantro for garnish. I'll let you know how it turns out!
Yield
10 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
Ingredients
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced leek (about 1 large)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 cups chopped peeled butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups chopped peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 pound)
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
Preparation
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leek and next 5 ingredients (leek through garlic), and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add squash, water, and apple; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until tender.
Place half of soup in a blender; process until smooth. Pour puréed soup into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with the remaining soup. Return soup to pan; stir in cream and salt. Cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle each serving with about 1 tablespoon cilantro.
Nutritional Information
- Calories:
- 139 (28% from fat)
- Fat:
- 4.3g (sat 2g,mono 1.1g,poly 0.8g)
- Protein:
- 2g
- Carbohydrate:
- 26.5g
- Fiber:
- 6g
- Cholesterol:
- 11mg
- Iron:
- 1.5mg
- Sodium:
- 188mg
- Calcium:
- 87mg
Anyone else have any lighter fare recipes they'd like to share ... favorite fall dishes? I'd love to hear them.
4 comments:
I hope you continue to like your new shift... what exactly are you doing?
Can't wait to hear how the soup turns out!
Sounds yummy!!!!
You have to be THE best cook! Sounds yummy! Awesome new work schedule! Enjoy all those daytime hours...I'm a bit jealous. :) xoxo L
I am going to make this on Saturday Aimee for our little Halloween gathering! I was looking for a soup recipe to go with the grilled pizza. It's so fast and easy and delicious!
glad the new job is going well, I missed you here on the old blog and had to imagine what you were drinking this past weekend!
Post a Comment