Thursday, December 3, 2009

Holy Ancho!

Okay, so I've been a whore for Cooking Light lately, you know it, I know it... lets just consider the cat out of the bag. After that amazing Braised Beef I made a few weeks ago I thought it couldn't get better. But then I made a baked Rigatoni... yes, it was fabulous. But then... yes then... I made Ancho Pork and Hominy Stew. HOLY YUM.

I have to share. Its too good... TOO GOOD.


Ancho Pork and Hominy Stew

2 tbsp ancho chili powder (I used regular...LOL)
2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (have to use smoked... its so different)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 lbs pork tenderloin trimmed and cut into 1/2" pieces
1 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 cups chopped green bell pepper
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 1/2 cups fat free, less sodium chicken broth
1 (28 oz) can hominy, drained
1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained

1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; set 1 1/2 teaspoons spice mixture aside. Add pork to remaining spice mixture in bowl, tossing well to coat.

2. Heat 2 tsp oil in large Dutch oven or soup pot over med-high heat. Add pork mixture to pan; cook 5 mins or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove pork from pan; set aside. Add remaining 1 tsp oil to pan. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; saute 5 mins or until tender, stirring occasionally. Return pork to pan. Add reserved 1 1/2 tsp spice mixture, broth, hominy, and tomatoes; bring to boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes. Yield 6 servings (Serving size 1 1/3 cups).

CALORIES 300; FAT 8.3g, PROTEIN 28.9g; CARB 26.9g; FIBER 6.1g; CHOL 76mg; IRON 3.2mg; SODIUM 523mg; CALC 51mg

And now I'm off to decorate the tree...finally. Keep those quotes coming if you have more or think of more... I'm loving them! Thanks guys! Have a super day!


5 comments:

Allison said...

Oh wow, that looks soo good!

McMGrad89 said...

It DOES look good. I think we are having a little chicken soup today. It is supposed to snow tonight (as if.)

Kelly said...

That looks so good!

Jocelyn said...

OMG...I have to make this....I know Hubby and I will love it! Thanks for sharing!!!

sandra said...

this sounds and looks a lot like mexican pozole. can't wait to try this recipe! tfs :)