Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Apple Spice Cake

(for Victoria, hehe)

Heres the luscious apple cake I made yesterday that scented my house of wonderfulness. A while ago I posted my grandma's apple cake recipe which is also VERY delicious but not nearly as healthy. You can see that one here, I suggest it for when friends are coming over so you don't have to polish it all off yourself.

Apple Snack Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting



3 tbsp vegetable oil
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1/2 cup chunky applesauce
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
Cooking Spray

Cream Cheese Frosting
1/3 cup (3 oz) light cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar

For the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine oil and sugars in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add egg and egg white; beat well. Beat in vanilla and applesaucel Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 7 ingredients, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to applesauce mixture.
3. Pour batter into an 8-inch square (I used round) baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes.
4. Spread top of cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, and sprinkle with walnuts if desired. Cute into 9 squares (or 8 slices).


5 comments:

Sasha Farina said...

that looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

thank you Aimee!

Unknown said...

Sounds so yummy! I can almost smell the tasty apples and the warm oven on! So "fall", with some cider too- oh yeah!

Sandy said...

omg, are you kidding me?? I'm like ACTUALLY drooling....

Denise said...

oh goodness. anything with cream cheese is food of the gods. got your message-um YES! sandy should come to!