Monday, April 6, 2009

Be Well Rufus

Tonight my dad had to put our family dog, Rufus, to sleep.

He's had a neurological problem for a while now, his motor skills have been deteriorating, his muscles weakening, his body dying. Today he couldn't get up and he couldn't eat. Tomorrow he had an appointment with a neurologist, but his poor, tired old body couldn't wait till tomorrow. He was in pain, and we couldn't let our old friend suffer.

I am so sad. My sister called to tell me and we both just cried like a couple of babies, sniffling into the phone, not even talking. I had tears streaming down my face, I'm sure she did too. I still do, even now as I write this.

I know that thus is the circle of life, and that he lived a good life, a healthy life, a happy life. But I can't help crying for him, for his sweet nature and his voracious appetite. I smile a little as I think about his appetite... that dog could eat! He would eat anything. Not only did he have an appetite for food, but he'd eat garbage, grass, cat poo, anything he could get his grubby mouth on. Haha, such a character.

Every day when he got home from work, my dad would let him and his brother Buford out in the front yard and they'd walk down the street together to get the mail. Then he's give them each a handful of cookies and pet them, rub their ears, give them love.

As a mammoth sized stinky outside dog, Rufus rarely came inside the house... but every now and then he'd weasel his way in and could be found cleaning up a crumb or two off the kitchen floor or under the dining room table.

A mellow protector.
A keeper of secrets.
A gentle soul.

Rufy, you will be missed. We love you.

11 comments:

jacque4u2c said...

My tears, my thoughts and my understanding are with you. Sniff! Sniff! I'm sorry! What a wonderful tribute you gave him.

Lisa said...

Ohhhh so sad! I have never considered myself a real animal person, but after having my special little friend around for the past 7 years, I can't imagine life without her. My heart literally breaks for you. I agree with Jacque, such beautiful words to express your feelings for him.

Amber Zimmerman said...

So sorry to hear that. My parents had to do the same thing to our family dog this summer. It was just awful. =( They have such personalities. I love what you wrote about him.

Sharmaine said...

Hugs Aimee.
A great big one :)
PS, my word verification word was ujurines.... That sounds ouchy!

Jocelyn said...

So sad sweetie. I know how you are feeling.... Sending big hugs to you!!!!! Now you have me crying!!!! Just plain SORRY!!!!

kristinak said...

I'm so sorry.....
It's hard to lose a four-legged family member. Sending you hugs!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Aimee.... I am soo sorry. My heart goes out to you and your family over this loss. Hugs to you my friend.

bethchien said...

Awww...that makes me think of my boo (aka Miya). Wonderful tribute, babe!

Denise said...

so sorry Aimee love. He looked like a fine, poop eating, loveable dog! Sending a hug your way.

Julie said...

Sorry to hear about your dog Aimee. He looks so sweet in the photos.

LollyChops said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I started crying just reading this. I remember when my dad called to tell me they had put our family dog down. I too cried and cried.

gentle hugs.