Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Family Way...Err... not THAT way....


Ugh. Family.

You love them, and hate them. They're there for you in your time of need, and you MUST be there for them. Or...must you? I wonder, when is it TOO MUCH?

I'm the resident "crafty person" in my family... the "go-to Martha" if you will. Well, aside from my Grandma, who has basically moved to Phoenix (to get away from the non-crafters who seek help for everything? I wouldn't doubt it!) She's no dummy.

Now don't get me wrong, I love helping. I love seeing the finished product and suggesting a technique or angle they hadn't thought of and seeing their eyes light up. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but only a little... I swear.

The part that I don't like is that once I've committed and said "yes"...which I inevitably always do, they are family after all... I tend to regret my decision-- occasionally. Usually this occurs when my schedule has become jam-packed with an overwhelming array of crafty endeavors, most often self inflicted. Said family member wants to meet. Said family member cancels at the last minute. Said family member reschedules. Said family member cancels again. And thus the pattern begins and I'm left to rip my hair out in the bathroom and wander aimlessly wearing a hospital gown with my buns hanging out, whispering about some bird named Petey who had his head duct-taped back on. Err... or maybe its not quite that bad.


But the fact of the matter remains...they have asked ME for help. Why can't they work around MY schedule. Sometimes, just sometimes, that would be nice for a change. So you have to go home and make dinner after you get home from your part time job... I may not have children, but I still have a life. I work out. I make dinner for my husband. I have household chores. I have errands to run. I'm not a little kid anymore who is free of all responsibility. I can't just drop everything at a drop of a hat and be at your beckon call in a moment's notice.


There. PHEW. That's off my chest and no more hard feelings.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I hear ya! Been there, done that! We COULD be roomies in the hosptial having a gay old time discussing Petey! lol! What's worse for me is that the request for help comes from friends AND family! Hope things get better for ya! XOXO

Anonymous said...

Hope things get better!

Jocelyn said...

I will be the third in line with you and Lisa in that hospital walking aroung in a drug induced stage!!!! I even had aneighbor ask me the other day if I could do a scrapbook for her daughter from birth until age 20 and could I have it done in a week!!! My mouth dropped open and I meekly said, I don't think that would be possible and she quickly grabbed an attitude!!! Hope things get better for you!!!! If you need help, holler and I will see what I can do!!!

Tenaya said...

"pretty bird, pretty bird"

Deana said...

Well, Petey, I hope they're reading your blog...

With age comes the wisdom that NO is a complete sentence.

No reasons, no excuses, no guilt.... just NO. It feels damn good to say it, too. :-)

Bree mcconnell said...

Wow i thought i was the only person with this problem.....good luck