
My silly little sister. I remember her in our childhood, fondly at times, and utter disgust at others... bouncing in her little blue plaid dress with the white collar, white tights, and black Mary Jane shoes, blond curls bumbling about. Always independent. Always the one to have her way. I think, "I'll do it myself!" was her favorite phrase.
I bullied her into submission, but usually she'd outsmart me (and or corner me, sit on me, and tickle me until the verge of peeing my pants, only letting up as I breathlessly begged for mercy. WENCH). If I did something tattle-tale worthy (i.e. cussing, hitting, pinching, lying, etc) I'd have to bribe her with candy, money, or a toy of mine she'd been eyeing just so she wouldn't tell mom. Luckily for my own hide, I was a good backpeddlar. I could talk my way out of just about anything if I got frantic enough.
We hated each other for the better part of our childhood...and I use the word "hated" lightly. Because mostly we got along great until one of us would pester the other (my mother always used that word... "Aimee don't pester your sister"). I learned at an early age as I was trying to pry her tiny body through the bars of her crib that this little shit was here to stay. And I'm proud to say, since she's been around so long, I've really actually grown rather attached to her. Attitude and all. She and I have a connection that I know doesn't just come with being sisters. We talk almost daily, I can tell her anything, she knows what I'm going to say before I say it. She never hesitates to tell me what she really thinks (which is usually good, but sometimes bad... and followed with a slap. Okay, so not really). I love her very much. (And that's enough mush, don't you think?)
Anyway, that Barbie-Loving-Blondie is getting married! I'm so excited for her! She and Dan have been dating for so many years I've lost count and I couldn't be happier. In fact, I'm really excited that I'll get to say "brother-in-law" now instead of, "my sister Jessie's boyfriend, Dan". It's much more succinct and makes me feel much less like an idiot.
The engagement story: Dan bought Jess a bouquet of flowers and left it on the counter at home. She came in after a long day slaving at work and saw the flowers. A smile crossed her face. She smelled them a bit and re-arranged here and there (we all know boys just take them out of the cellophane and stick them in the nearest pitcher, paying no mind to what's out of sorts). She noticed a string...no wait... dental floss, and a hilarious looking blue vending machine ring attached to the string(I hate to taint this moment with a dirty snippet, but it is my nature and I must... we've all been joking that the fake blue ring looks like a 'cock ring'. In fact just yesterday I called my sister to see if she had the 'cock ring' on. But alas, she did not). But wait, there's more. Dan had taken a piece of medical tape, folded it over to use as a pseudo-tag and written in black ink chicken scratch, "marry me?". Okay, don't tell, but my heart melted. It is so sweet and so DAN... A little bit genius and a little bit hillbilly.
I am not sure where Dan was during all this business. I know he was in the house. I like to imagine he was giggling like a little girl (as he sometimes does) around the corner in the hallway, waiting for Jess to discover the little surprise.
I am so excited for the two of them. My little sister, engaged... congrats sister, I LOVE YOU!
7 comments:
A big congrats to your sister!! Such a fun time...
I'm so excited for them! FINALLY!!! :-) Glad she is finally coming to the dark side of married life, like the rest of us...
Congrats to your sister! how exciting and what a funny/lovely story to tell.
awww...congrats...yay!
that is such a sweet story! congrats to your sis....:)
Oooooh! I think my heart just melted. What a sweet story...of course I come from the land of hillbilies so it touched me at the center of my being! LOL! Congrats to your sister and to you for gaining a future brother-in-law!!!
Yay! :)
Post a Comment