Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Lovely Morning

As I was driving to work this morning I noticed how gorgeous Mt. Rainier was. A dark jagged shape against a pink back-light. A partly cloudy sky just beginning to expose morning. I love that sight on my way to work. I love it so much I don't know if I could ever live anywhere else.

If morning Mt. Rainier had background music... it would be Colorblind by the Counting Crows... that harmony of the piano keys.

Ahhhh.

I do that a lot, put music to sights in my head. I also associate certain songs with a lot of times in my life. This song, Colorblind, reminds me of my old yellow jeep. My Counting Crows CD got stuck in that faulty Stereo for months. My friend Sean had to completely disassemble it to get it out.

Far Behind reminds me of my friend Jeff, from highschool. I wanted that Candlebox CD so bad, and he found it for me and got it for my birthday.

DMX reminds me of parties and taking shots of vodka...puckering my face up and chasing usually with a beer. Followed by a long night of dancing, the spins and a big greasy breakfast the next day.

The Eagles Hotel California reminds me of my dad and growing up. So does Desparado or any John Cougar Mellencamp song. Taking rides in his ElCamino to Dash Point Park or Never Never Land (not the MJ one...).

Tori Amos reminds me of a time in my life when I was sad a lot. Her voice and piano notes conjure up a sack of bad feelings I am lucky to have left behind.

Wasn't really going anywhere with that. I just love that moment when you hear a song you haven't heard in ages, a smile crosses your face, and you recollect the memory associated with that time period in your life. Music is so powerful.



I wanted to share a picture of this awesome chair I found at a Garage Sale. Its so not for sale, I'm keeping it forever. I can't wait to start decorating for fall and put it on the porch to hold a pumpkin. Ahhh, fall. :) I'm so excited.

What makes you happy lately?

5 comments:

erinrwillis said...

Oh, this post really made me think. I do the same thing - put a song w/my feelings or sights that I see, or immediately associate a song w/a memory..... Thanks for this post today! And I'm SO ready for fall too!!!

Deana said...

All songs I hear remind me of something or someone. Man I love Tori Amos, but I think I have the same feeling about her. Just glad to have moved beyond where I was then. :-)

Denise said...

Tori does that to me too! I saw her in concert years after my sad little affairs and thought--not so much anymore. (I was also about 10-15 years older than all the women there) Some music only works for a time and then other songs you love forever.

I lived in Belfair when Jameson was born and would lose my breath when taking the ferry and getting a clear view of Mt. Rainer. you live in a magical place.

Denise said...

I amost spit coffee across the room. Just read the previous post.
how was eating at Beth's vag?

you are old.

you know I am kidding-

bethchien said...

love LOVE that chair!