Jamie Lou planned out the most fun day ever! We hit something like 7 or 8 estate sales. She had this little list with every address and what was at each sale. First stop was Starbucks... of course. Then we hit one in North Tacoma on the way up to Seattle. North Tacoma is the ritziest area of Tacoma... its where all the old money is. So I love going to estate sales there, they always have gorgeous old jewelry and furnishings. So since that was our first one, we wanted to get there in time to be one of the first group going into the house. We've done this before... sometimes they give out numbers, etc. We wanted a number. So we got there early, in fact we were the first ones there. But the notice on craigslist had said "ABSOLUTELY NO EARLY BIRDS, YOU WILL BE TURNED AWAY".
One thing about Jamie and I is we like to be really respectful to the family of the deceased (or whoever lived there). We are going into someone's home. This particular sale was actually run by the family... it was the man's mother. There were four older ladies in front of us who could be described by no other term than "VULTURES". Although they got there after us, they ran up to the door and waited to get their numbers first. (First Sign). They were laughing like hyenas and cackling and standing on tippy toes and looking into the windows, exclaiming about what they were going to take first (stuffed animals!!, go ahead ladies, eat your heart out). (Second sign). The wife of the man whose mother had passed, came to the door, asked if anyone else needed numbers, and wanted to make sure everyone was there, she'd let us in if that was the case. So then a chatter started amongst them. I looked at Jamie and pursed my lips together into a makeshift beak, bobbing my head like a vulture (or... a chicken to the naked eye). We both laughed.
That was when the screaming started. One of the ladies in the line was practically hoarse from screaming at her husband waiting in the car. He had to come in too, he had one of the numbers. Instead of going to get him, she screamed at the top of her lungs. He walked up, looking more than just slightly annoyed and said, "Do you have to beller like that?" This was the moment when I thought a high-five would be appropriate, but managed to keep my hands to myself.
We avoided hair-pulling and smashing crystal vases. But just by the skin of our teeth. (It was really hard to contain ourselves when Jamie was nearly bowled over for an ice cream scoop and then we were deafened by the sound of squelching "WHAT no flippers, no pancake flippers? no flippers?" over and over and over again.)
After a wrong turn, going over the Narrows Bridge, paying a $4.00 toll, and muttering obscenities under our breath we were once again underway on the treasure hunt, heading to Seattle to stir up a few more great finds.
Of course all treaure hunting works up a HEALTHY appetite. I've been hearing about this place and I figured it was time for us to visit. So Jamie took me there. And it was fabulous. I had this crazy omlette with chili, salsa, sour cream, cheese and hashbrowns. And a banana nut muffin that was homemade and seriously delicious. I think Jamie took a picture of it before I devoured it. But I got into her camera and had seconds ;)

And um, how cool is this sign?
Another interesting note about the day, ran into a friend of the family. Granted, I don't know him well, but I recognized him and he asked me (ironically on the day of my 27th birthday), "Do your parents know you're here?" I was slightly perplexed as he has to be aware that I am in my late 20's and no longer suckle the teet. I politely replied, "I haven't lived at home for five years..." and then Jamie piped in, "its her husband you should be worried about." We quickly paid our $$, laughed nervously, grabbed our stuff and ran.
WEIRDOS.
(This is totally probably not funny to anyone but me, but I'm going to write it here anyway, so that I can remember it for all time. Jamie was typing a message to her mom on facebook with her new BlackBerry telling her we were just about to eat @ this fabulous restaurant (I was sending a picture via email). And Jamie makes funny typos. She always has. Sometimes we think she might be slightly dyslexic. (One of my favorite examples... for "EXPENSIVE" she occasionally types "EXPENIS" its happend more than once. It's not a fluke). Yesterday she types to her mom, "We're about to eat at Beths vag" I am serious as a heart attack. She had somehow gotten her fingers on the wrong keys. We both about died.
And all this before breakfast.
How was your weekend?
3 comments:
I don't think she's dyslexic... I think she just has sex on the brain. :-)
Happy belated 27th! Hope it's a FANTASTIC year for you! :-)
Glad you had such a great day! Totally cracking up about the typo! Ahh you never let me down for a good laugh!
OMG. I love it. Expenis and Beth's vag. And those crazy ladies at the estate sale.
Post a Comment