Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Plum Saga


So about a week and a half ago, a good friend of my mom's (she's like my aunt) emailed me and asked if I had any grand ideas about what she should do with her hoards of plums from her Italian plum tree. She was going to can some and she wanted to make some plum butter (like apple butter) and she'd heard I'd done apple butter in the crock pot and wondered if there was such a thing she could do for the plums as well.

I told her she could always halve them, wash them, pit them, and freeze them. Also there was the make a bunch of pies and cobblers in tins and throw them in the freezer route. Jam of course (not in the crock pot). We bantered back and forth a bit about eating and recipes, as we do here and there throughout the course of the year. And then I didn't hear from her.

Until this morning that is. Apparently she'd had a bit of a debacle.

I think she describes it pretty well, so I'm just going to quote her e-mail to me this morning, verbatim.

I decided to make something new & different with my leftover plums. I decided to make PLUM BUTTER. I squished them in my food processor and then put them into my Crockpot to slowly cook. Then I let it cook a long while and I ended up with half a Crockpot of Concentrated PRUNE GLOP. Not to be defeated I next looked up some recipes for PLUM BARBECUE SAUCE online. There were actually quite a few.

After that I minced onions and garlic, etc. and put the PLUM BARBECUE SAUCES together. I made 2 different versions. Of Course I had to taste the PLUM BARBECUE SAUCE along the way.

Spent yesterday dealing with the aftermath. COLON CLEANSING comes to mind!!!! Jon said (that's her husband) that he asked me what the heck I was thinking from the beginning....which I admit now he did warn me ahead of time. ANYONE WANT SOME?? Got LOTS......


Of course I thought it was hilarious, in fact I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. Then I told her she should start up her own blog and post all her good bits like this.

Gee, let me think, yes give me some of that colon blow, I would love it, I'm feeling a bit "pent up" if you know what I'm sayin'. Then my mom chimes into the email with a "reply all" saying... "ooh, good weight loss idea. I've got another plum tree full if you want another go."

Have you noticed there's been a lot of poop and butts in my blog posts lately? Sorry about that.

5 comments:

Carolyn Ward said...

Funny! Thanks for sharing her story!

bethchien said...

YOU ARE JUST PLUM HILARIOUS!

Lisa said...

Dang! Beth stole my line! LOL! Too funny!

erinrwillis said...

Colon blow, poop, butts.... Love it. I snickered/snorted at this post!

erinrwillis said...

Colon blow, poop, butts.... Love it. I snickered/snorted at this post!